Thursday, July 26, 2012

Apparently, I've Lost My Mind

About a year ago I started running again.  I actually wouldn't call what I was doing back then "running" so much as "slow jogging."  I did the Couch to 5K program.  I really can't say enough about this program.  I am one to jump in head first and burn out fast.  This program makes you take your time and trains your tired, out-of-shape, body into one that can actually complete a 5K run.

So I followed it, and here I am a year later, still "running."  I'm a tiny bit faster now, so I guess I'll keep calling it running.  Up until this week, I've been pretty consistent.  I run three times a week, 30 minutes each time.  Some days that gives me 3 miles, sometimes it's closer to 2.5.  I'm pretty slow.

But I changed that up a bit this week.  After my 3 miles tonight, I will have run 4 times since Monday.  I will then do a 4 mile run sometime this weekend.

Why? 

Two reasons.

1 - I went to the doctor for a complete physical and blood workup.  I passed with flying colors, but she mentioned that maybe I should lose a little weight.  I've lost 16 pounds in the last year.  Not great, but not too bad.  I'd like to lose another 15 to be within my ideal weight range.  Her best advice, since I'm eating healthy and seem to be getting all the nutrients I need...exercise more.  Take my 3 times a week to 5 times a week.  It doesn't have to be running, but I can't afford a gym and I've learned that unless I get out of my house, I find too many reasons not to do it.  So running gets me out and is the hardest, fastest workout I can do in the shortest amount of time.

2 - My sister.  See, I have this little sister and she is all super healthy and fit these days.  Awesome for her.  She looks and feels amazing.  She decided that we should run a half marathon, and though I know that I am more of a 3 - 6 mile kind of girl, I decided I should try and challenge myself.  So on October 20th I will attempt to not die while I run 13.1 miles.  In order to be as prepared as possible, I need to run more.  Nine miles a week wasn't going to cut it.  I know, I'm insane.

So that's why. 

I'm following a 12 week training program and I already know that it's going to be tough.  Fitting in a run 3 times a week was difficult, now fitting one in 4-5 times a week?  It's going to be close to impossible.  But, I'm going to try.  I did get a double jogging stroller so I can take my kids with me on runs.  But let me tell you something about a double jogging stroller...

HOLY HELL!!!!  It may kill me.  I did my first real run with both kids in it last night and I barely made it through 2 miles.  Adding the weight of the jogging stroller, plus the combined 65 pounds of my two children, plus the fact that you can't really move your arms to help propel yourself...it's rough!

I was looking for information about how many additional calories I might burn using the stroller.  I couldn't find any formula or scientific answer but I did see multiple people saying things like "Well it can't be that many because there's no real resistance," or "I mean, it has wheels, so it can't be that difficult," or "No extra calories since it's moving with it's own momentum."

I say to those people...BULL SH*T!!!!!!!  I may go track down those answers/posts and leave some very descriptive language in their comment sections.  It was definitely one of the toughest runs I've completed in a long time.  But I guess that's what this is about...this whole half marathon craziness...pushing myself, getting myself that much closer to a healthy life, accomplishing something I never thought I could.

Ainsley looked back from her comfy seat in the stroller last night and said "Mommy?  Are you sweating?" 
"Yes," I gasped.
"But Mommy, I'm not sweating."

She said it with such amazement and shock that I had to laugh.  So if you see me huffing and puffing behind my children's chariot...I'll be okay, just have a glass of water and a massage waiting for me at the end.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews